Monday, July 14, 2008

I would have rather won the lottery . . .

I have a disease, a rare disease, a lonely disease. I found out that the frequency of this disease is about 1 in a million which equals a good chance of winning a lottery. I'd rather have the money please.

I began feeling unwell last Christmas, but it took until April to be diagnosed with Dermatomyositis. Since then I have seen my GP, a dermatologist, a neurologist, a
rheumatologist, a gastroenterologist, an opthamologist and have been run thru so many tests I'm losing track. I have had over 50 vials of blood taken, a full body CT scan (with IV dye and drinking dye), chest x-rays, upper GI series x-rays with barium swallow, EMG test and nerve conduction tests, ultrasounds, mammogram, biopies, the list continues . . . I would really, really rather have had the money!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Hi, Jan.

I feel for you - I was diagnosed with a Sertoli-Leydig tumor on my ovary when I was 18. This occurs in less than 1% of ovaian cancer, and malignancies occur in only 25% of those cases.

It has been nearly 10 years, and although I have no more cancer, I have been to the lab more times than I can even remember due to other health issues that have risen since then. I was perfectly fine for 18 years, and now I feel like my body is a lemon.

I can barely get blood drawn from my arm, and always have to request an experienced phlebotomist.

I stopped keeping track of all the tests I have had.

Jan, I know how you must feel, and you are in my prayers.