Monday, July 14, 2008

Ban Comic Sans!!

OK, I'm a fontaholic. I have way more fonts on my computers that anyone has a right to, but one I refuse to have on my computer or use is Comic Sans. This horrible font was designed by Microsoft as an attempt to humanize and perhaps update their characterless operating system and software.

I hate to see the use of this ugly font on professional printed pieces, or for that matter, I hate to see it used anywhere.

As a Graphic Designer, and having received training in the use of typography, I know a thing or two about communicating visually using type and the correct font for the purpose. If I want to communicate something serious, I use a serif font, something modern I use a sans-serif, but most people don’t know this and rarely make a conscious choice of choosing a good font. Comic Sans will turn anything that doesn’t contain the word “lemonade” into a farce.

No comments: